The Shrine Of The Little Flower

History of Our Parish (cont.)

  Father George Joseph Larkin was born in Mt. Savage, Maryland, the son of Peter H. Larkin and Mary Ann Farrell.  He received his primary education at St. Patrick School, Mt. Savage.  His studies preparatory for the priesthood were made at St. Charles Collage, St. Mary Seminary and Sulpician Seminary.  He was ordained December 21, 1918 at the Baltimore Cathedral by his Eminence, James Cardinal Gibbons, being a member of the last class to be ordained by the Cardinal.

  Stationed first at St. Stephen, Washington, Father Larkin was sent to Blessed Sacrament, Baltimore, February 11,1922, where he served twelve years until he was named Pastor of Ascension Church, Bowie Maryland, with the care of the missions of Whitemarsh and Woodmore.  He was named Pastor of the Shrine of the Little Flower May 29, 1942, and took over his duties here June 12 of that year.

  In recognition of his record of achievement Father Larkin was selected by the Most Reverend Archbishop as one of the Archdiocesan Consultors, December 14, 1951.

 

  An inspiring privilege was granted Little Flower on December 10, 1948.  The Pilgrim Virgin Statue, blessed at the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, Portugal, visited Little Flower on it's world tour to awaken all mankind to Our Lady's desire for the daily recitation of the Rosary, the wearing of the Scapular, and the world's consecration to her Immaculate Heart.  More than 8,000 Little Flower parishioners and friends joined in this special devotion.

2 of 6

Previous   Next  

Home | Spiritual | Youth | Fraternal | Community

 
Weekly Bulletin | Special Events | Calendar of Events


Copyright 2003-  by Shrine of the Little Flower
 All rights reserved.

Terms and Conditions